approved Carne Guisada
thank you to My Chef Sam for putting this together! if you need any meal prep or catering ideas, she’s our go-to!
Prep Time: 20 minutes. Cook Time: 6 Hours in Crockpot.
- 2 lbs. grassfed beef stew meat, cut into 1” pieces. If you cannot find precut stew meat get a roast and cut into pieces yourself, it’s not that hard, just use a sharp knife.
- 1 medium onion, chopped. I prefer yellow but if you only have white that’s fine too.
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, yes the seeds too
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 16 oz. organic free range beef stock
- 6 oz. organic tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tsp. coriander
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro for garnish
- Salt and pepper the beef stew meat.
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a cast iron or heavy bottom pan. Brown beef in small batches, like Julia Child once said “Don’t overcrowd the pan” You really want all those yummy brown bits, they add a ton of flavor. Be careful not to completely cook the beef, you want the beef browned on all sides but not cooked all the way through.
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- Lower the heat and add the chopped onions, peppers, and garlic. Salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef stock and scrape up all the yummy brown bits. Add the tomato paste and remaining seasonings, stir to combine.
- Add the meat back to the pan.
- Finish the meal in a crockpot on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Once the meat is completely tender and falling apart, the meal is done. Serve with cilantro rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.